Make Ahead Chinese Braised Beef Shank
This very easy make ahead braised beef shank can be served hot or at room temperature. You can cook and have it sliced ahead of time ready to much on.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours
- 1.5 lb beef banana shank grassfed
- 1 1/2 c soy sauce
- 1/2 c Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 3 Tb cane sugar
- 3 c water
- 1 ea cinnamon sticks
- 3 ea star anise
Put all items into a pot. Bring to a simmer and cook at a very lazy bubble for 1.5-2 hours. The meat will be thoroughly cooked and tender but not falling apart when you pick it up.
Remove from liquid, slice, and serve. Alternately, it can be cooled completely, sliced and eaten cold or at room temperature.
The cooking liquid can be cooled, refrigerated, and used again if desired.
- Make this the day before and serve cold or at room temperature.
- Cook chicken in the same stock first to get 2 meals out of 1 pot
- Do not overcook to fork tender. It should still hold together if you try to pick it up with a fork.
Calories: 331kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 102mg | Sodium: 104mg | Potassium: 267mg | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 190IU | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1.5mg