Black Bean Bell Peppers
If you're wondering what to do with extra bell peppers, let them starring role in this succulent side dish. Tossed in a vegan black bean sauce, this has enough umami to melt in your mouth.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
- 3 Tb oil
- 4 ea bell peppers deseeded and cut into 2x4" rectangles
- 2 Tb Chinese fermented black beans minced
- 1/2 Tb ginger minced
- 2 ea green onions sliced, white and green parts separated
- salt to taste
Heat 2 Tb oil, ginger, black beans, and white part of the green onion to a simmer over medium heat for 2-3 minutes and set aside.
Toss bell peppers with 1 Tb of oil and salt to taste. For me, this is about 1 1/2 tsp.
Pan fry bell peppers over medium high heat for 1-2 minutes per side until seared. The peppers should be al dente as in cooked but still with some crunch and not completely soggy.
Toss seared bell peppers with the black bean sauce and green part of the green onion.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
- This also makes a wonderful bbq side dish. The bell peppers would taste so nice seared on a charcoal grill outdoors.
- If you don't want to purchase Chinese fermented black beans, you can substitute the black beans with the same amount of jarred black bean sauce.
Calories: 111kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 301mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 31IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Iron: 1mg