Quick, Vegan Cucumber Kimchi
Kimchi that is fast, easy, and tasty. Just needs a few simple, vegan ingredients and less than 30 minutes to prepare.
- 1 lb pickling cucumbers sliced into 1/3 - 1/2" thick rounds
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 Tbsp Korean red chili flakes
- 1 ea garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp sugar or sweetener of choice (coconut sugar, honey, maple syrup)
- 1 Tb soy sauce
Toss sliced cucumbers well with salt. Let sit for 10 minutes to draw out some water from the cucumbers to start the sauce.
Add remaining ingredients to the cucumbers. Toss for a good couple minutes in order for the Korean red chili flakes to dissolve and create a red sauce.
Taste, and adjust seasoning with more salt or soy sauce if desired.
- Use pickling cucumbers for best results. Persian or Japanese cucumbers would work too. Use English if you must, but it's not very traditional.
- Massage in the ingredients with your hands if you have a disposable glove.
- Toss in optional chopped onion, green onion, or garlic chives if you have them for additional flavor.
- Add a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds for garnish if you have them.
- Eat the same day for optimal freshness. Store up to 1-2 days maximum, but it really tastes best within 24 hours.
Calories: 26kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 868mg | Potassium: 203mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 675IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg