Very Easy 6-Ingredient Shanghai Chicken
This very easy 6 ingredient Shanghai Chicken can be served hot or at room temperature and is a homey chicken dish all year round.
- 2.5 lb chicken use chicken parts if preferred
- 1 1/2 c soy sauce
- 1/2 c Chinese rice wine or dry sherry or sake
- 3 Tb cane sugar or brown sugar
- 3 c water
- 2 ea cinnamon sticks
- 3 ea star anise
Put all items into a pot except chicken. Stir to combine the liquid with sugar. Add the chicken breast side down. The chicken will only be half submerged in liquid.
Bring to a simmer and cook at a very low boil for 30 minutes, covered.
Flip bird breast side up. Simmer for another 20-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked but not overcooked. It should reach an internal temperature of 160 when a thermometer is inserted into the thickest part of the thigh.
Remove from liquid and serve. The cooking liquid can be cooled, refrigerated, and used again if desired.
- If you prefer to use already cut up chicken parts, reduce cooking time to 30-40 minutes, and flip chicken halfway through cooking.
- Remove the chicken skin prior to cooking if you don't like wet chicken skin.
- Add dark soy sauce if you'd like a more mahogany-colored chicken.
- Other lovely additions to this braise are ginger, green onion, chestnuts, dried shitake mushrooms, and/or dried red chiles.
- Serve hot or make ahead to serve cold on the buffet table.
Calories: 331kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 102mg | Sodium: 104mg | Potassium: 267mg | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 190IU | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1.5mg