Easy Thai Basil Chicken with or without Thai Basil
Don't let the lack of Thai basil deter you from making this dish. It works with regular Italian sweet basil too. It's quick, easy, and provides an alternative use for fresh basil besides tomato sauce.
- 1 lb ground chicken or chicken chopped into 1/4-1/2" dice or ground turkey
- 1 tsp coconut oil or other healthful oil
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 3 ea Thai bird chiles, minced with seeds or 1 serrano chile minced with seeds
- 1 Tb oyster sauce
- 1 Tb sweet soy sauce sub with regular soy sauce if unavailable
- 1 cup basil leaves Thai basil or Italian basil
- ground black pepper to taste
Heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, chiles, and shrimp paste. Cook for 30 seconds to one minute, stirring so they don't burn.
Add chicken, oyster sauce, and sweet soy sauce. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes until chicken is almost completely cooked through.
Add basil leaves and black pepper. Stir until leaves are wilted about 1-2 minutes. Chicken should have no pink spots left and be completely cooked through.
Calories: 198kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 316mg | Potassium: 609mg | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 315IU | Vitamin C: 2.4mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1.2mg