What the heck are winged beans? Glad you asked, but you can use green beans too in this lovely, coconutty, creamy Thai salad that is dairy-free.
What are winged beans?
They are an Asian pea plant with roots and leaves that are entirely edible. They look kind of like a crunchy, waxy, green bean that spread wings.
If you do find them, they are delicate and need to be eaten soon after buying, else their wings start turning black.
These are commonly found in Thailand and chopped fine into thin slices for a salad. Usually, the salad contains poached shrimp and ground pork, but this recipe just uses egg for simplicity.
This recipe also eliminates the tedious chopping by slicing the beans lengthwise.
Step 1: Blanch winged beans
Into a pot of boiling water they go. They need just about 1-2 minutes until the pot returns to a boil.
Drain and run under cold water to cool.
Step 2: Make coco-nutty dressing
This dressing often has tamarind in it. For the sake of simplification, it is eliminated in this recipe.
Whisk the following items together:
- coconut cream
- fish sauce
- chili garlic sauce
- lime juice
To make this vegetarian, substitute the fish sauce with soy sauce.
Step 3: Toss and serve
Toss in the blanched winged beans and chopped hard boiled egg. Save a bit of egg to garnish on top.
Other items you could add to this salad are:
- poached shrimp
- cooked ground pork
If you can’t find winged beans, green beans work well too. Try out this coco-nutty, zippy, zingy Thai dressing for an unusual side salad.
Other Coconut Cream Recipes
As we know, once you’ve opened that can of coconut cream, it must be used fairly quickly, probably within a week. Here are other recipes that use coconut cream:
Other Easy Salad Recipes
Published December 17, 2018.
Thai Winged Bean Salad
- 1 lb wing beans or green beans about 2 heaping cups
- 2 ea hardboiled eggs chopped into 1/2" dice
- 2 Tb coconut cream or 1/4 c coconut milk
- 1 Tb fish sauce
- 2 tsp lime juice about 1/2 lime squeezed
- 2 tsp minced shallot
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce or sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Cut wing beans lengthwise and then cut in half. If using green beans cut into 3 pieces.
- Blanch beans in boiling water for 3-4 minutes until crisp tender. Shock in ice water or run under cold water. Drain well.
- Mix dressing ingredients together in a bowl. Toss with drained green beans and chopped egg. Reserve some chopped hardboiled egg for garnish.
P.S. Do you like coconuts or the coconut song? Please spread the Asian ♥ and share!